Five Simple Tips to Stay Healthy and Age Vibrantly with Beef
The 2021 Sanford International PGA TOUR Champions event is an organization of professional golfers age 50 and older. These golfers strive to stay in great health so they are able to play and support the PGA TOUR Champions.
The South Dakota Beef Industry Council will be at the Sanford International PGA Tour Champions event, September 16-19, sharing the latest evidence on beef’s role throughout the lifespan. Beef is a source of easily absorbable zinc and iron for infants and provides important contributions of high-quality protein, vitamin B12 and zinc to aid in healthy aging.1,2
Here are five simple tips to help stay healthy and age vibrantly with beef as your premier protein source!
1. Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, protein foods, and dairy or fortified soy-alternatives each day for a healthy eating pattern.3,4
2. Focus on nutrient-dense foods and beverages, limit those higher in added sugars, saturated fat, and sodium, and stay within calorie limits. Lean beef is a nutrient-rich food. A 3-ounce serving of cooked beef on average provides the body with 10 essential nutrients for only 175 calories.5
3. When it comes to protein, choose a complete, high-quality protein, like beef, which contains all the essential amino acids needed to help protect lean body mass and prevent the loss of muscle and strength associated with aging.6
4. Current research suggests consuming 20-30 grams of protein at breakfast, lunch, and dinner to stimulate muscle protein anabolism and prevent the onset of sarcopenia or slow its progression effectively and efficiently.7,8,9
5. Aim for 30 minutes of physical activity daily and include a balance of strength training and aerobic-style exercise.10
Use these tips to strive for dietary balance, variety, and moderation, coupled with physical activity, to help build the foundation for a healthy lifestyle. Be sure to attend the Sanford International PGA TOUR Champions event and visit the South Dakota Beef Industry Council at “The Ranch” located near the 1st, 2nd, 17th, and 18th viewing area. Vist BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com to learn more about beef’s nutritional value and benefits.